January 13, 2017

Crochet 101



As my first post, I decided to write about basic notions in crocheting. Crochet is one of my favorite hobbies if not the one favorite. I learned how to crochet when I was about 15 years old by watching my mom sew a carpet for our living room. She herself learned the craft by watching her grandmother and so on. Thus you can say it has been in the family for quite a while. 
Because I learned by doing, I did not know the names of the basic stitches. You see, there are only four mainly stitches from which you may play around and make your own pattern. And may I dare say that among these four, only three are really important knowing: Chain (and slip stitch), single crochet, and double crochet. They are the ones I am showing you today. 
Without further delay, let us begin! 



• Chain (ch)
First things first. You need to hold your thread between your thumb and point fingers. Since I am a right-handed person, I hold the thread between my left hand fingers so my right hand is free to hold and to move around my needle.
Next step, since we are beginning a project and because most of the projects, if not all of them, are going to begin with a chain, You'll need to twist your needle in a full 360º circle. You will pull the thread inside the loop you just created.
Usually, you'll have to do some more before moving up to the next stitch. It is also common to start any circular project by making a circle of chains. First, you chain as many stitches as you want and then, to close your circle, you'll need to do the slip stitch.
• Slip stitch (sl st) 
The slip stitch seems just like a chain. In fact, that first stich I just wrote about, the one with the 360º, is a type of slip stitch used to begin a crochet piece. The slip stitch is also there to finish a line or a project.
The difference now is in where you insert the needle before stitching it.
Before you make a chain, you'll insert the needle into the closest stitch loop, which will be right to the left of your needle. After that, you'll pull the thread through the two loops you have on your needle (one from the next stitch loop and one from the last stitch you just made).  Slip stitch and circle well done! 

• Single crochet (sc) 
Now imagine how cool it would be making a loop on the needle just before making a chain? Basically, this stitch would become a single crochet.
Usually, a line of chains is the beginner step to every project. Single crochets cannot be done out of nowhere, they need to have other stitches working as a base. You need to insert your needle in the stitch's loop of your choice and make a loop with your thread, which you'll pull across the stitch. It'll leave you with two loops on your needle. You'll make another loop from your thread and then pull it across the first two loops, leaving you with only one loop on your needle once again. In the biggest picture, I made three single crochet stitches just to help to visualize how they'll look like in a line.

1 sc is usually the same height as 1 or 2 ch
• Double crochet (dc) 
Again, now imagine how it would look like if you made a loop just before starting to do your single crochet... It would become a double crochet stitch. 
Make a loop from your thread and insert the needle in the stitch of your choice. Next, make another loop from your thread, leaving you with three loops and a "stitch" on your needle. Pull the recent loop through the stitch and you'll be left with three loops on your needle. You'll make another loop and pull it through the next two loops. It will seem like I am repeating myself, but make another loop and pull it through the remaining loops on your needle (aka the other two loops).
In the biggest picture bellow, I made four double crochet stitches in a row.

A dc is usually the same height as 3 ch
That was all for today! Thank you for reading my opening and I hope I will keep seeing you around here. If you have any questions at all, comment in the box bellow and I'll be more than happy to help you!

---
Mrs. Vieira


No comments:

Post a Comment