March 23, 2017

Crochet Project #2

I, just as I guess everybody else, was confronted by the necessity of coasters once my computer table got a glass “scar”. I had this rest of cotton thread with two shades of blue after finishing my indoor front door mat and decided to try out some coasters. Yes, I love using rest of yarns just so I have a sense they fulfilled for what I paid for.
At first, I did the obvious: a circle. I thought it was quite boring so I gave up on this.
The thing is, I didn’t want something too elaborated. To me, the attention should be on the food and not what goes under my utensils. So I went to Google, yeah I did, and found “Wink” did a free pattern on coasters back in 2013. She did a great job with pink shades and named it A Set of Five Ombre Crocheted Coasters.
Since my thread was a little thicker than the ones she used, I only did three rows before finishing with the shy flounce. I definitely didn’t do what she calls the Contrast Round since my thread has different shades in itself. I think that would be too much information on something I didn’t want to take the spotlight.
I could have done only two rows before the last detailed one, but I wanted something that can go from a small mug to a larger glass or even a small bowl. 
 

I didn’t stop on glasses and mugs’ coasters. I did two dish coasters and a bigger one to put maybe a porcelain/china on top. I decided to do this because I still have not built the patience to crochet a table cloth, so my poor table needs some protection.

So just to keep things straight: 
 
  1. To do the smaller one, as I said already, I did three circular rows and finished by making exactly what Wink instructs on her pattern;
  2. The medium: Six circular rows. I didn’t keep track of how many stitches in each row, as long as you keep it perfectly circular, then everything is good. You can put your project on top of a table or any other flat/smooth surface to see if it is a fine circle. To do the flounce, I didn’t skip just two stitches between the shells (2 dc 2 ch 2 dc in same st), I skipped three stitches;
  3. The largest: Eight circular rows. Just like the medium, I skipped three stitches between each shell.


---
Mrs. Vieira

P.S.: Edited some bugs on the font size and type.

No comments:

Post a Comment