April 1, 2017

Pinterest DIY #1

            According to the Oxford Online Dictionary, the second meaning for the word "fashion" is "A manner of doing something." Bringing it to nowadays, is no big surprise to see so many DIYs throughout the Ethernet that promise to save your entire life as well as change the way you see clothing style. I am a big fan of doing things in your own way. Clothing, hair, makeup, and even nail polish are statements either if you realize it or not. We are constantly judging others by their appearance rather we want to admit or not. 
             Moving forwards, I chose these two most pinned DIYs on Pinterest. The first one that I tried, the pink shirt tutorial, promises a "cute crop top for summer". You can find lots of pins of the same pictures, so I wasn't able to track down who firstly posted this DIY unfortunately. 
             I took an old T-shirt with some phrase expression from my home tow (that happens to be one of which I mostly say when speaking my native tongue, so I loved this tee). I didn't want my crop top to be too short, so I first cut just above my hip bones. When I tried to tie it I found two problems: 1) the back of the T-shirt would roll up and end up just above my waist, a pinky finger between the T-shirt new bottom and my bra; 2) My T-shirt wasn't long enough so I could tie a knot on my back and still menage to breath. Either that or the waist of the girl on the pictures is unbelievably thin. I have a 27 inches waist. A quick search on Google told me that the women's average waist size is 34-35 inches (140-150lbs weight). So, practically speaking, this DIY is just for petit rare/not-real women.
             Feeling frustrated, I had to throw out my beloved old tee. I wasn't satisfied that I would have to post a failed experience in my blog. Then I thought if I did post this experience, this would mean that I was taking my blog to where I wanted it to be: real experiences with real reports.
          That sounds awesome and all but I was feeling crafty and wanted to refashion something. So I took a new T-shirt that I received when got into this gym. This time I took an easier DIY. I wanted to try the no-sewing tutorial. I cut the collar first and maybe I went too down with it, leaving me with a cleavage that I'm only comfortable showing off at home, which is fine because I was intending to use this refashioned shirt at home anyways. I also cut the sleeves and the bottom.
          Now let me explain why the Approved-ish title. It would have worked if I had stopped cutting when the cleavage worked out. But I didn't. The advertisement says it is a no-sew way to refashion and I did feel the need to sew the bottom and sleeves since they were rolling up. I just hated the aesthetics of it. Since I didn't previously cut the T-shirt thinking about sewing, I didn't leave a room to do it, so the refashioned T-shirt ended up being a little too short even though I sew a ridiculously thin line (again, not the best thing to do but you have to work with what you've gotten). It would have been nice if there still was a couple of fingers going on the bottom though.
          The conclusion is that it's going to be a while before I ever try a refashion DIY again. I have no other throwaway T-shirts after all that. Or the courage to ask for my husband's help in untying a knot in my back before I pass out.


---
Mrs. Vieira

No comments:

Post a Comment